Thursday, October 3, 2013

October Sketch


Hello! It's time for the October sketch, once again provided by the kind and generous Chari Moss:



Yes, there were circles last month and this month. Hey, it happens, and I embraced it. :)

Also, this month we're collaborating with CAS-ual Fridays (I LOVE their fonts!),


so you'll see me use their images on these cards.

Let's get started! First, my literal interpretation of the sketch:


I took some Basic Grey PB&J paper, used the blue cheesecloth-looking piece for my main layer, and cut three circles from a floral piece, making sure to get a bold, red flower each time. I stamped a sentiment from the CAS-ual Fridays Bold Wishes set onto a yellow scrap from the same Basic Gray pack.  Last, I layered it onto a Hero Arts Blush Mixed Note Card and added some Doodelbug yellow pearls to finish it off.

Next, I used the same orientation of the sketch, but it got a bit busier:


I decided that top circle needed to be the sun, and, having learned my lesson last month with the Hero Arts Clouds background stamp and too-bold of a blue ink, this time I went with the Hero Arts Envelope Liner background and Hero Arts Soft Sky ink. Much better, I think. :)

The CAS-ual Fridays sentiment was stamped on a large MFT die-cut cloud, and I cut more clouds, one for the bottom circle element of the sketch and the rest to balance things out. I rummaged in my paper stash for "something with a bit of blue and yellow and something else in it", and found this piece of Basic Grey Max & Whiskers. A few pieces of bling, and done! Oh, and in real life, the yellows are a closer match. My camera and I are not on speaking terms.

See that yellow circle for the sun? Well, I cut it out of the front of a Hero Arts Sunshine note card, and that's how this next card happened:


I left the hole there and stamped the sentiment on the inside of the card. I inked the leaves of one of the images from the CAS-ual Fridays Beanstalks set with Hero Arts Soft Leaf ink and colored the top with my Distress Barn Door marker, then stamped it. I stamped the sentiment over the image in Hero Arts black.

As for the sketch, I had to flip it over and backwards, like this:


I literally took the piece of paper, held it at the bottom corners, flipped it upside down, then hung it on my lamp. I did. Okay, back to the card:


For the arrows, I inked the Hero Arts stencil with my now-open Hero Arts white ink dauber. It's messy and wet, and I got a lot of bubbles, but the stencil shape came through. For the circles, I free-handed some Liquid Pearls, which explains why the top one is more of an oval. I highly recommend you put light dots around a real circle shape before you try this at home. Don't be like me.

Then since I was in a color rut, and because I wanted one more orientation of the sketch to try, I flipped it like this:


Then I dunno what happened, but something snapped in my brain and I started to chuckle, and I made this:


I had stamped the Envelope background with Soft Sand onto a piece of white, and it was abandoned on my desk, so I used it here. I cut some large white circles for the eyes, and some smaller brown circles for the eyes and nose. I only wish the background had some flocking on it. heh heh 

I was stuck for a sentiment until I found this one in the CAS-ual Fridays Exclamations set. Perfect! HA! I might need a nap.

That's it for this month's sketch. Just a reminder: The sketch segment here at ABNH is not a separate challenge and there is no linky below. It's just for added inspiration and to help jump-start your mojo. Please feel free to incorporate the sketch in your creations! If you do, please link back to ABNH and also leave a comment below with a link to your post so we can all come by and see what you've done with it. :)

Don't forget to play our current You Better Shape Up challenge! There's a Simon Says Stamp Gift Voucher up for grabs for one lucky player!









Supplies for Card 1:


Supplies for Card 2: A Muse Studio cloud dies (for the smaller ones), and the following:


Supplies for Card 3:


Supplies for Card 4: Core'dinations brown remnant and the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment